Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap sdr platform

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap sdr platform
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 01:28:07 -0700

Hi daniel,

so, obviously, the RTL-SDR dongles (can be had from 6€ upwards if bought in bulk directly from China) is the SDR of choice for low-bandwidth experiments. However, LTE and WiFi with bandwidths in the 10s of MHz simply widely exceed their bandwidth.

Bandwidth-wise, and considering high-rate links won't be sensibly receivable with 8-bit quantization, you'll need to have USB3 (or Gigabit Ethernet up to ca 30 MS/s, or PCIe, or such for anything above) if you need to receive 20 MHz wide WiFi or 10 MHz wide LTE. There's only so many boards that do that. Some of which are cheaper than USRP B2xx series devices, some not. Notice that LTE exists in smaller bandwidth variants, too, but I can't comment on hardware useful for these.

Best regards,

Marcus