Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap sdr platform

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap sdr platform
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 10:06:39 -0400

On 10/06/2017 07:45 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:

Hi Robin,

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply the Pluto was "worse" than others. It's really that as you, and I thought that was really great about your talk, showed that SDRs aren't "totally harmless toys". Indeed, I hadn't even noticed so far the different band-specific paths of the B2x0 were gone on the B200mini!

And yes, who am I to tell you that, but that's the price you pay for frequency-agile SDR: Either you spend a lot of money on dedicated filtering per band (E310, TwinRX), or you get the cheap flexibility at the expense of selectivity. That might be the reason why an R&S spectrum analyzer might be a tad more expensive then the average COTS SDR device that we're considering below.

But the fact that you need your own filters, in the end, is – in my experience – something that people building systems are very willing to accept, because you can use one and the same SDR device that you got to know intimately in products which you optimize for the bands that you'll actually use in that incarnation of your system by adding (relatively cheap) filters for exactly what you care about. That's why it makes sense for the B200mini to lack these filters – the form factor means it lends itself to systems integration. And that's also why it makes sense for the Pluto to not have filters – aside from the (extremely nice) price tag, hell, it's an experimentation platform, so the flexibility is more important than the raw signal quality.

So, yeah, my wording was misleading there – thank you for the response!

Don't see why you need filters.    Analog components with 220dB of dynamic range ahead of  27-bit ADCs, and no filters required :)