Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Implementing feedback loops

From: Vipin Sharma
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Implementing feedback loops
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 16:17:16 +0000

Marcus,

Your comment:

just give your block, which is a
normal C++ or Python class, a member that holds the state”

implies that I can simply define a simple class member of the custom block C++ class to store the state.

However, I was initially thinking that would mean feedback as well. After thinking through though it shouldn’t be because member variables are not input/output streams.

I still have one question though. Do class member variables of custom GRC block retain their state across two different calls of the function? I guess I don’t really understand how GRC calls the custom block during runtime. Does the custom block class’ object gets created once during initialization and only the general work function gets called multiple times for processing. That way all custom block’s class’ object retain all their state across the calls? The only state we loose are the local variables which get defined in the general work function itself.

Vipin