Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] resample ratio for fractional_resampler

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] resample ratio for fractional_resampler
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:12:50 +0200

Hi Andy,

The fallacy I had in my own head was that the MMSE resampler also filters sufficiently – I think that is not true; it's just a resampler, you need to "select" (as in: filter everything else away) the appropriate bandwidth yourself before.

Therefore: Yang, you'll need to filter before to restrict your signal to a Nyquist bandwidth that the resampled signal can represent without ambiguities (anti-aliasing), then have the flexible MMSE resampler, then, if necessary, suppress images. That's at least one times the effort of the 1/64-bandwidth FIR from my last mail that you *must* do, if your signal is not already sufficiently-bandlimited before.

That leads me to the conclusion that you'd definitely want to first decimate with a FIR and then flexibly interpolate/resample.

You can, in fact, combine both, and then you (essentially) get working principle of the "Polyphase arbitrary resampler": Build a polyphase filterbank from a decimation filter (that's the "Decimating FIR" aspect), and go through the phases in a way that approximates the sub-input-sample delay you want at the output (that's the MMSE-filterbank-alike idea about that).

So, Yang, could you elaborate about what you do before (and after) the resampler? What does your input signal's spectrum look like?

Best regards,
Marcus