[Discuss-gnuradio] Signal processing question : FFT frequency resolution

From: Steve Gough
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Signal processing question : FFT frequency resolution
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:42:38 -0500

Hi all,

Could you please help answer a quick signal processing question ? I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list.

I have a sampling rate of 1M samples/second, and I perform an FFT every 100ms. This gives me a frequency resolution of 10Hz (i.e. each bin size is 10Hz). Is there any way I can increase my frequency resolution (say from 10Hz to 1Hz) without changing the FFT size ?

If I "manually" correlate different frequency sinusoids (1Hz sinusoid, 2Hz sinusoid etc) with the samples acquired in the 100ms duration, can this give me a higher frequency resolution (1Hz in the above case) ?

Thanks in advance!
Steve