Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Looking for tutorials (was: Hi all)

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Looking for tutorials (was: Hi all)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:03:02 +0100

Hi Nirmala,

> When I use the signal source block, although its already digital, I
> thought I must specify sampling rate as per Nyquist condition in the
> "samp_rate" variable.

You must specify a sampling rate; but you don't have to adhere to
Nyquist. Just be aware that if you use a signal frequency that isn't in
the first Nyquist range, it will be aliased.

> For the USRP sink, "center
> frequency parameter", I understood that I can specify the carrier
> frequency that carries the baseband signal.

True!

> But I also observed that if I change the variable samp_rate, it
> changes throughout in all other blocks as well. So it must be a
> global parameter and not necessarily the Nyquist sample rate as I
> thought it to be! Request you to kindly explain.

Well, that's the beauty of using *Variables*. The fact that you
interpret the variable called *samp_rate* as sampling rate is just
interpretation of some block's parameters. Don't mix your specific
usage of variables with signal theory meaning of block parameters!

Best regards,
Marcus

> When I multiply two signals and plot the FFT, the plot mentions dB
> for the frequency components. You already corrected me earlier that
> its not power. Then what does this dB mean?

Decibel. It's decibel relative to a digital mag² = 1 signal.
If you're confused about the difference between dB and dBm, I recommend
revisiting the wikipedia article on decibel.

Best regards,
Marcus

¹ nitpicking: If you sample a 10 kHz signal with a 20 kHz sampling
rate, you might end up getting a constant value; 9.999kHz would be
fine, if observed long enough.