[Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Ideas Page – please (for now) finalize!

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Ideas Page – please (for now) finalize!
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:18:40 +0100

Hey everyone,

as Felix (in his position as GNU Radio GSoC manager) has been telling
people through private channels over the last week, we're bringing our
GSoC ideas list [1] up to shape, so that we can attract a lot of
candidates, and make it easy for students to see how well they match
the requirements for any given project.

So, we plan to bring the list from its shape in the wiki [1] over to
something slightly more flashy. Thinking of a categorized list with
icons, directly integrating with the home page, or on a separate
domain.

In any case, that means that I'd like to ask /all/ of you to proof-read
that list. If you have a project that's not on there AND feel like
you'd be an appropriate mentor, this would also be kind of the best
chance to make the project idea visible without jumping through many
hoops or making us jump.

Now, as my subject line tries to imply: Not all that is on that list
when we put it live is bound to be 100% identical to what the student
will do – that's why we have the proposal phase, where candidates are
encouraged to talk about what they think they'll be doing.
It's also pretty clear that there's a lot of "hot topics" on that list,
which are moving targets; if your idea belongs in that category, make
sure a candidate that applies next spring still gets a description that
we can at least easily correct to fit the problem to be solved at that
point.

Deadline's Thursday night (pacific time).

Best regards, and thanks for helping make sure we'll be among the GSoC
organizations once again,

Marcus

[1] https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/GSoCIdeas