[Discuss-gnuradio] Hackrf Source/Sink Combo

From: Gavin Jacobs
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hackrf Source/Sink Combo
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 23:11:50 +0000

I have a HackRF One and I have been using the Osmocom Source/Sink blocks to access it. In the Device arguments I put this:
hackrf=0

I have also used the Osmocom Source/Sink blocks with the Soapy/Hackrf driver when I need to transmit and receive in the same flow graph. To use the soapy driver, I use this for Device Arguments:
soapy=0,driver=hackrf

Both methods have pros & cons, but neither works well with the Hackrf. It's like driving a square peg in a round hole. I would really like a single block with an optional source port and an optional sink port, plus some logic which controls the TX/RX switching via tags or messages. I've written a dozen or so OOT modules, so I am reasonably confident that I can code it. My question is this:
Is there any architectural constraint in gnuradio which would prevent a source/sink combo block from working?

Thanks,
Jake