Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ways to improve latency of a low bandwidth stream

From: Mario Rossi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ways to improve latency of a low bandwidth stream
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:53:04 -0400

Johannes,

Thank you, those were good inputs and I tried running some tests with it. Yes,
I'm using an SDR in that loop (hackrf). I fixed a problem with my code and got
rid of most of the jitter, the latency is now stable around 60-70 milliseconds.

I tried measuring latency of a file source, unpack k bits and file sink blocks
back to back. There is no throttle block and the transmitter is sending one new
packet every 6 milliseconds. At the receiving end, the read operation is
blocked for 50 milliseconds at the time and I then receive the packets created
in the previous 50 milliseconds, with the last packet being only 6 milliseconds
late. To rephrase, every 50 milliseconds the read operation on the output queue
becomes available and I get packets with latencies 6, 12, 18, etc. ms up to
~50ms. I believe this means 128 bytes it the minimum buffer gnuradio will
process somewhere in one of those blocks, and all my data gets processed at
once when that happens. By lowering the time between transmitted blocks to 1
ms, I of course receive them still in chunks of 8, 1 ms apart.

I then tried merging my tx and rx flow graphs into one, removing the pipes
where the SDR was, and I got down to 20-60 ms as a latency. Not that much of an
improvement! Somehow the receiver isn't blocked anymore for 50 ms at the time
and I now get the packets in a consistent flow, they are just all late. Anyway
this means that the latency added by the tx/rx hardware is in the order of
10-20 ms, that is acceptable for now and I should be able to tune later.

By increasing baud rate 5 times, minimum latency in the same setup went down to
around 10 ms, but average and maximum latency stayed around 40-60 ms.

Here is my flowgraph, even if I don't find it that interesting:
https://i.imgur.com/DaimCjD.png

I don't know, but I believe hacking gnuradio's scheduler (telling it to empty
buffers much, much sooner than it is) might be one of the simplest options
here. Or maybe moving to a faster computer might work just as well. I don't
understand the difference in latency between the first two tests, as in why I
get this fixed 128 bytes buffer with the simple flowgraph, but a granular
output with the more complex one? Anyway, I will keep working on this, see if I
can find anything to improve.

Thanks again,
Mario