Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit Power of USRP B210

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit Power of USRP B210
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 00:47:00 -0700

The attenuator in the AD9361 transceiver chip used on the B210 is pretty accurate. For a certain frequency, all you need is one measurement. Then the output power will track pretty well with the gain setting. BTW, the TX gain range on the B210 is 0 to 89.8 in 0.2 dB steps. Above around 80 or so, wide band signals start to get distorted with 3rd order IMD.

You have to connect your B210 directly to the spectrum analyzer, preferably with a 20 dB or more attenuator just to be safe.

However for OFDM (or any noise like signal), you have to compensate for the spectrum analyzer resolution bandwidth. Here's an example. The signal is 5.83 MHz wide OFDM and the resolution bandwidth is 30 kHz. The compensation would then be 10 log 30000/5830000 = -22.9 dB. So the approximate -61 dBm reading on the spectrum analyzer is really -61 dBm + 22.9 dBm = -38.1 dBm of average power.

OFDM power1

If you have a spectrum analyzer that can automatically measure channel power, it's easier and more accurate.

OFDM power2

The spike to the right of the main signal is the DC offset shifted out of band with UHD offset tuning.

Ron