Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] RFC: Remove the msg_queue API from GNU Rad

From: Kevin Reid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] RFC: Remove the msg_queue API from GNU Radio
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 19:35:47 -0700

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 6:28 PM Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
I'd like to discuss the removal of the old msg_queue API from GNU Radio.
Motivation and description can be found here:

https://github.com/gnuradio/greps/blob/msgq/grep-00XX-remove-msgq.md

My application, <https://github.com/kpreid/shinysdr/>, uses the msg_queue blocks for the mentioned purpose of moving data from the flow graph world to the Python world. I previously tried using Python blocks (not specifically for this purpose) and found them unusable because combining Python blocks with flow graph reconfiguration (lock()/connect()/unlock() cycle) would cause deadlocks.

I just wrote up a simple test script and found that this did not reoccur, but it is under much simpler conditions. (I am currently testing with gnuradio revision ad641c67c18a53a1bb577fad5d5183988aaf19c0 via MacPorts.)

I will experiment and see if it is stable when used as a queue replacement.