Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAKING A NTSC TV RECEIVER

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAKING A NTSC TV RECEIVER
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 19:42:17 +0000

Hi Martin,

internally, the RTL dongles are fast enough to capture full DVB-T (not
-T2) channels, and demodulate, and decode them, and deliver the video
stream to the host. However, RTL-SDR can't use that mode - it uses a
"bypass the whole Digital TV specific stuff" mode and directly passes
IQ samples through USB.

In that mode, it simply can't do more than 2 or 3 MS/s (can't
remember), which isn't enough to cover 6 MHz - so everyone's right, you
can basically receive the AM black/white info at a partial bandwidth of
the ca 5 MHz of the luma signal, but you won't get any color
information that way, or audio with the same receiver as you do video.

Cheers,
Marcus