Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Call for Participation FOSDEM & pre-FOSDEM Hackfe

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Call for Participation FOSDEM & pre-FOSDEM Hackfest
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 18:14:23 +0100

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to Andrey for organising this.

I like to announce that, also as part of the "byteweek" event at hsbxl, there will also be an "amateur radio" day in hsbxl. This will be organised on Thursday 31/1.

The goal is the same as the "ham-radio infobooth" at FOSDEM itself: trying to bridge the gap between the amateur-radio community and the maker/hacker/open-source community. (*)

Currently planned are
- a presentation "amateur radio for hackers"
- an HF-station to demonstrate amateur radio (mainly digimodes)
- two workshops:

The two workshops try to bridge the amateur-radio community, working from the two directions:

- one workshop about the RTL-dongle and building a small antenna. This is because the RTL-dongle is for most people their first steps into exploring radio .

- for the other workshop, I would like to have a workshop "gnuradio for hams", i.e. an introduction for gnuradio for hams. For that workshop, I am looking for somebody of the gnuradio community who can help with that.

I've talked to a number of other radio-amateurs about gnuradio, and quite a few have tried it (or at least watched videos about it), but most of them have quite a problem with getting started.

There is quite a few videos and other resources on gnuradio, but very few of them approach it from a amateur-radio perspective. Most hams I talked to have a problem to "transpose" their knowledge of radio and transceivers as "hardware" and electronic circuits into the pure software domain.

So, if somebody of gnuradio is interested in helping to organise this workshop (and help people get started to "learn to think in SDR"), that would be great!

From a practical side, for hardware needed for the workshop, we currently have a hackRF, a plutoSDR, a number of RTL-dongles and ... a flexradio 6500! (the station we will be using to demonstrate amateur-radio). (**)

Thanks in advance!

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne (ON1ARF)

(*) Also this year, we will be present at FOSDEM with a amateur-radio infobooth. If the location is similar to last year, it will be located in the AW building, just next to the entrance of where the SDR devroom is held)

(**) for the flexradio 6500, I found out there is a golang software-module to drive that tranceiver from gnuradio. Hence, it would be interesting for try to get gnuradio working with that rig! 100 Watt HF / 6 meter.