Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] Replace SWIG

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] Replace SWIG
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 17:30:05 -0800

Here's a summary of of comments that have come up in chat:

- Andrej recommended using PyBind11, a close cousin to boost.python. it comes recommended by Sebastian Koslowski also. It's only a few headers and we could ship it as part of the source tree.
- The question arose if we even need the python bindings as part of the standard install. Personally I think we do, installing GNU Radio from source should simply give you all the features. But it's a good thing to discuss.
- Another comment was that we could simply have c bindings and then use those for python. The general consensus around that was that we can treat the C++/Python interface specially, given its importance and tradition. C bindings can be discussed separately.

-- M