Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CC1101 GFSK packet decode with variable length

From: Kevin McQuiggin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CC1101 GFSK packet decode with variable length
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 10:01:38 -0800

Hi Alban et al:

Great RTFM graphic!

gnuradio’s documentation could indeed be much better: this is a discussion topic at conferences and meetings.  I had the same issues a couple of years ago when I was brand new.

Unfortunately, for undocumented blocks, or those ones where the docs are not complete, the best way to figure out what the block or component does is to read the source code.  This is not ideal if you don’t have (for example) C++ experience, but if you have any coding experience at all then with a bit of effort (and support from the excellent helpers on this list) you can likely figure it out.

The online docs do give enough information on gnuradio’s methodology that you can then figure out what a block does, what its parameters mean etc.  If it isn’t, then you can simply ask “what does parameter k do in block so-and-so” on the list, and (likely) the author will get back to you to explain it.

This is not a perfect answer to your question but it’s a start.  gnuradio is complex, and especially complex behind the curtain, so expect that it will take some digging (and consequent learning, which is good!) to get to where you want to be,

Happy 2019,

Kevin