[Discuss-gnuradio] An obscure cmake bug

From: Paul Boven
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] An obscure cmake bug
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:06:01 +0100

Hi everyone,

When building UHD and GNU Radio, I usually opt to use 'make package', to then install the resulting debian package on my machine. For me, this has the advantage that all the installed filed are registered with the package manager, and it is easy to cleanly remove my install again so I don't end up with conflicting GR installs.

However, for GNU Radio, 'make package' already for a long time results in a .deb that cannot be installed, apt chokes on it with the message that the tar file is corrupt. When disassembling the package by hand, tar has no issues reading the tar file. It turns out however that the tar command within dpkg doesn't implement various tar extensions, and one (just one) filename in the resulting tar file is long enough that it requires a tar extension block to encode it. Cmake by default used the 'paxr' format for this.

Because of this, I filed a bug with the maintainers of cmake, who quickly addressed the issue.

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/18620#note_486393

Until this fix actually makes it into cmake installs at end users, a workaround would be to add a flag to cmake when setting up GNU Radio: -DCPACK_DEBIAN_ARCHIVE_TYPE=gnutar

Regards, Paul Boven.