Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] forum to learn more about signal-processing and S

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] forum to learn more about signal-processing and SDR ?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:08:41 +0100

Hi Quasin, Neel, Ali, Albin,

(I'll reply in everybody in one mail, this list is busy enough as it is :-) )

Ali, Neel,

Thanks for the link.

Also I agree that basic-information is important to get started, in this case, I was looking for a forum/list. Sometimes, one needs to have a place to just as a question on a particular issue or how it is implemented in a specific project.

In this case, my question was related to a APT decoder found here (http://oz9aec.net/radios/gnu-radio/simple-apt-decoder-prototype), and  more specific how the AM demodulation is done. It uses a trick to shift the spectrum of a IQ signal down by 1/4 the sampling-rate, but I did not understand why he does one single conversion from 2 floats to a complex (s1, s2 -> [s1,s2]). and not two (s1,s2,s3,s4 -> [s1,s2],[-s3,-s4]) In the mean time, I found it out myself: as the next block is a complex-to-amplitude, the sign of the complex number is removed anyway.

I don(t know if this the same for other people new to signal-processing, GNU Radio is very interesting as it allows me to look at how other people do it and learn from that. Hence, having a forum to ask questions is a real forum.

Albin, Quasim,

Thanks for the link.
The "dsprelated" forum seams quite interesting.

The problem with stack-exchange (I have noticed) is that you really must have a very specific answer with a very specific answer. They do not like "generic" questions. (I once had a question on amateur-radio refused by them as it was "not precise enough").

Thanks!

Kristoff