[Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC19: The proposal draft of Verilog Design Simulati

From: Bowen Hu
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC19: The proposal draft of Verilog Design Simulation Integration
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 14:06:36 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks Marcus for giving me good advice. I implemented a demo of plugin structure( https://github.com/B0WEN-HU/Plugin-demo ), which can compile and execute C++ code at runtime.

My proposal draft has been posted here( https://github.com/B0WEN-HU/GSoC-19-Proposal/blob/master/Proposal.md ).

Here are two questions that need to be discussed, I suppose, in this proposal. They are as follows, and also included in the proposal.

>Users might want to specify the rules of data conversion in case that the default conversion rules won't work properly. I wonder whether it is a part of the job?

>Due to cycle-accurate Verilog simulation by Verilator, the timing of input and output may vary in different module. For example, there might be uncertain number of cycles before the output data is valid(However, the author of the module should know about it).Or, some module would have to take its time to do the calculation, and won't respond to the input data for several cycles, which means if we put the data to the input port during these cycles, the data would just be ignored. This information should be informed by user through some mechanisms. Moreover, I noticed that there are different types of blocks in GNU Radio such as decimators and Interpolators, and I wonder whether it is possible to implement the functions mentioned above without recompiling the block for different Verilog modules.

I would be very grateful if you could give me some suggestions. Please do let me know if there are any mistakes.

Regards,
Bowen Hu
Institute of Microelectronics,
Fudan University,