[Discuss-gnuradio] Getting a Runtime Error: gr::tuntap_pdu::make: tun_al

From: Heaney, Eamon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting a Runtime Error: gr::tuntap_pdu::make: tun_alloc failed
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 09:43:35 -0400

Trying to run a modified version of the wifi transceiver from this repo: https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11

Swapped out the USRP source for Osmocom (HackRF), and the USRP sink for a null sink. When I try to run it, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/galloway/working/seniordesign/gnuradio-companion/wifi_transceiver.py", line 343, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/galloway/working/seniordesign/gnuradio-companion/wifi_transceiver.py", line 331, in main
    tb = top_block_cls()
  File "/home/galloway/working/seniordesign/gnuradio-companion/wifi_transceiver.py", line 236, in __init__
    self.blocks_tuntap_pdu_0 = blocks.tuntap_pdu('tap1', 440, False)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/blocks/blocks_swig6.py", line 1046, in make
    return _blocks_swig6.tuntap_pdu_make(dev, MTU, istunflag)
RuntimeError: gr::tuntap_pdu::make: tun_alloc failed (are you running as root?)

I am most assuredly not running as root, and I'm unsure what "gr::tuntap_pdu::make" or "tun_alloc" are. There was one similar email chain (https://marc.info/?l=gnuradio-discuss&m=141563926501407&w=2) from a few years ago, but the solution he found doesn't seem to work; changing TUNTAP PDU doesn't fix the problem.

Anyone have a clue as to why these tuntap pdu things are acting up?

The information contained in this communication may be subject to legal confidentiality protection or privilege. It is intended solely for use by the intended recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  The school accepts no liability whatsoever for any damage, loss, or expense arising from any misuse of this e-mail and/or from the accessing of any files attached to this e-mail.