Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTTY receiver

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTTY receiver
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 08:21:02 +0000

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 16:26 -0400, Barry Duggan wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> I wasn't careful in getting the filenames right, but the intent and the
> execution were there :)
>
> If you look at bitglue/gr-radioteletype/lib/baudot_encode_bb_impl.h, the
> tables have a '-1' to indicate characters which do not have a
> corresponding Baudot code. In
> bitglue/gr-radioteletype/lib/baudot_encode_bb_impl.cc in lines 77 and
> 93, there is a test of the '-1'.

makes sense! I just assumed that all positive integers were valid
codes. If that's not the case: nevermind  :)

> However, it is not good practice to put integers in a table of
> characters. Therefore, I picked another value which is not a valid
> Baudot code, but is a seven-bit value, thereby avoiding any sign issues.
>
> Git can tell you the 'what' and the 'when', but not always the 'why'.
> Good comments are worth the effort!

Ha! That's why I force people with a draconian strictness, to write
*good* commit messages when they want to do something with the GNU
Radio main source tree :) Your comment would actually make a good
commit message; maybe with a subject line
"Compiling on ARM/RPi: circumvent char signedness confusion"
or so.
This is not a GNU Radio mainline code repository, so I have no
jurisdiction there. I personally strongly believe that people should be
writing and documenting code so that they themselves in the future, and
others, can optimally work with it - and I'd say, for your own
projects, it's pretty certain you'll be most happy with comments. So
roll with it :)

> BTW, when I started from scratch (again), I did a git clone instead of
> downloading the zip file. So now I can track my changes better. When we
> finish this, I will offer my changes as well as some additions to
> README.

Thanks! That's the optimum case :)

Best regards,
Marcus