[Discuss-gnuradio] Inexpensive Digital RF Signal Generator

From: cliff palmer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inexpensive Digital RF Signal Generator
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:15:08 -0400

I'd like to buy/build an inexpensive digital RF signal generator for testing RF scan/capture projects.  I want something that
- generates a digital pattern I specify (512 - 32k bits)
- on a frequency I select (somewhere in the 100M - 500M range but the range of frequencies can be much narrower)
- is entirely legal to operate in the US (I don't mind registering it with the FCC)
- is simple enough that a newcomer to RF signal processing/SDR can make it work without pestering this fine list with dozens of questions
- is controllable using software running on a linux or windows workstation connected via USB (JTAG is fine)
- is inexpensive (read US$50 or less, or $100 or less if it makes coffee and performs light housekeeping)
- is safe to operate (no breadboard layouts, and something you would let your grandchildren touch)
- is powered by USB connection to a monitor, workstation or power adapter and the power connection on the Signal Generator can be USB, barrel connector, or any other standard connection
And with all that, I am indifferent on color, form factor, brand name and such.
Thanks in advance
Cliff