Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Delay determination between Tx and Rx signal for

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Delay determination between Tx and Rx signal for limesdr mini with help of gnu radio.
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:58:24 +0000

Dear Atiqur,

the sampling rate is the product of symbol rate and samples per symbol
(quite intuitive, isn't it?).

Nyquist should be no problem here: you're the one producing that
signal, so it will inherently "fit".

4sps? Are you sure? That's way too little. Many (most) channels
wouldn't even be coherent for a single symbol duration.

I think it'd be best if you tried to write a full system specification,
in tabular form. Start with:

1 Purpose of system
2 data rate
3 FEC used
4 modulation used
5 symbol rate
6 pulse shape
7 analog bandwidth
8 samples per symbol
9 sample rate
10 potentially necessary rational resample

You'll notice that 1, 2, 3, 4 are the things you choose based on your
requirements, 6 and 7 are inherently linked, 5 is a result of 2&3&4,
and you need to pick 8, 9 and 10 together so that your system
technically is possible. If in doubt, start with a sampling rate in the
1MS/s region, I'm pretty sure that the limeSDR supports that.

This table is your guide when it comes to designing your system, using
*whatever* tool. As you notice, none of this is specific to GNU Radio –
it's just the bare minimum set of parameters you'd need to come up with
a digital transmitter.

Since it's the raw foundation of whatever you're doing: You're at
Hochschule Bremen, which probably means you have a good
adviser/supervisor (I only know one EE prof from there, and he's really
nice). Make the above table, take it to him and talk about it. As
someone advising a couple of students, that's exactly the kind of
discussions I'd want to have as early as possible.

Best regards,
Marcus