[Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] / Reminder: Feature development on `ma

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] / Reminder: Feature development on `master`, bug-fixes / feature backports to `maint-3.x`
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 00:28:21 +0200

Hi everyone,

in the context of the GNU Radio 3.8.0.0 release, I'd like to remind
everyone of the development model we settled on last year[1].

In essence, I've just branched off `maint-3.8` from the exact v3.8.0.0
tagged commit. All bugfixes for the 3.8 release series end on that
branch, and things like 3.8.1.0 will be tagged from that branch, too.

If you're doing future-oriented development, you should be doing that
on the master branch, which will one day (sooner than you think) become
GNU Radio 3.9! Backports to maint-3.8 (and even maint-3.7) are very
welcome, but we do not guarantee new features appear in maintenance
serieses.

Obviously, if you're working with 3.8 and offer us a feature branch
from maint-3.8, we'll hardly say "no", but it might simply take more
work to integrate it, since features must appear on master first.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2018-02/msg00133.html