[Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio Runtime buffers and latency

From: Wheberth Damascena Dias
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio Runtime buffers and latency
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 23:55:41 -0300

Hi all, I have created an OOT block that receives PDUs as input, stores the data in a FIFO buffer and generates a stream as output. Case no data is available at the FIFO, stuffing data is generated.
The block (kind of) works as intended, but when it is on the system with no data PDUS being received it does its job and generates stuffing. The problem is that, if I understood correctly, the rate of generation is controlled by the blocks downstream (via backpressure) meaning it fills all buffers of the blocks downstream up to the USRP.
This makes the next PDUs that arrive to suffer a very high latency.
I am trying to find a way to limit the buffer of the blocks downstream, but it doesn't feel like the right way to deal with this. Another idea is to query the status of the output buffer (via pc_output_buffers_full()) and generate stuffing data just when it is empty.
Anyone have faced similar issue? Am I in the right direction?
Any comments are appreciated.

Best Regards
--
Wheberth Damascena Dias