Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Wiki update.

From: HansFong
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Wiki update.
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:02:39 +0800

On 10/16/19 4:42 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
1. A very honest: Thank you for the feedback!
I'm glad you took my criticism in good stride. Thank you for your work on GNUradio and I hope my feedback will help a bit in making GNUradio even more accessible
We are aware that installation of our ca. 400000 lines of code project
is non-trivial, and that we've been so busy releasing 3.8 that we
couldn't keep up with installation instructions. I'm honestly sorry
about that, but it's not easy on us, either, though we've made stellar
progress in the last couple of years.
That was the advice I gave in my last mail: don't release until everything is ready, including the documentation. It will prevent a lot of confusion and reflector posts like this, hi hi.
2. You (specifically) shouldn't be in a position where you need to
compile things from source code or use PyBOMBS to build it. You want to
use GNU Radio, not develop it itself (for now). New users wanting to
try GNU Radio are the last people I want to compile GNU Radio from
source. That'd be plain stupid. This isn't the 90s.
Unless you really can pinpoint why you need 3.8 instead of the 3.7.13.4

gr-satellites is the reason. The maintainer is working on version 2.0, which is a complete rewrite which only works on GR 3.8 with python 3 and I want to stay on top of that. gr-satellites also suffers from the same malady of lack of documentation. I already wrote on a good install guide for version 1.7 on GNUradio 3.7 for Kubuntu, but since 1.8 is the last old-style release I want to focus on 2.0. Luckily Daniel has opened a Wiki on the github repository of gr-satellites and after my initial install guide there are now others working on new guides for installation. After that I want to write some user guides for newbies of gr-satellites (like me) so that more people can decode telemetry with GR.

@Barry Duggan KV4FV: thanks for your install instructions. I'm not installing on a RPi, but I've printed out your instructions for reference. Cheers!

@Nate Temple: Thanks for the information. I will consider applying for an account to edit the GR Wiki.

@Silvain Munaut: the last piece of software I compiled and installed was simply make, make install and it worked. I can't recall every having to do a sudo ldconfig after a compilation/install. But then again, I can't really recall how I used to compile kernels, because that has also been a while ago. Do you remember? I'm not offended by your reply, but maybe next time have a little more empathy and maybe a constructive answer to add to the discussion. And btw, "half a day" was of course a metaphor (not the GNUradio compilation time, because that was literally half a day).

QRT now. Tomorrow another day in which I hopefully will succeed in installing GR 3.8.

Hans

BX2ABT