Re: FT8 with GNU radio and the PlutoSDR on the 2 meters band

From: Neil
Subject: Re: FT8 with GNU radio and the PlutoSDR on the 2 meters band
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:35:58 +0000

OK, agreed that the envelope in even a sharply-switched FSK is sort-of constant at baseband (except during tone startup, when it goes from zero to full amplitude in the first half-cycle), but with the sharp transitions, some energy goes into the modulation sidebands created by those transitions. The level of the main tone during a sharp transition must drop as energy is being put into the sidebands generated by the abrupt frequency change. With a nonlinear amplifier well into saturation, the level of the energy away from the main tone will be boosted, so there is distortion of the relative amplitudes of the tone and sidebands.  In a linear amplifier, the changes in level of the main tones during frequency transitions will be reproduced faithfully and the overall bandwidth will remain as per design.  Also when operating close to the edge of a filter passband, a fair amount of the energy in those sidebands is removed during tone transitions. The amplitude variations only happen around the time of a tone transition, so it depends on how you define the granularity of your amplitude measurements.  I should run a proper test on the GFSK version.

Anyway, none of this really matters unless you happen to be in line of sight to a 30kW ERP station on 144MHz and you are trying to resolve a signal 400Hz away that is 80dB weaker.

The change to GFSK is *hugely* welcome as it has reduced the occupied bandwidth of FT8 signals (even those using over-driven or not-very-linear amplifiers) to a much more neighbourly level.

Nice work by the OP.

Neil G4DBN

Average amplitude spectrum of an old-style FT8 signal at baseband.

Spectrum after going through an SDR transmitter.  Blue is a 15-second average of the envelope, yellow is instantaneous. Some of the sidebands have gone missing, so there is amplitude variation, at least very briefly during tone transitions.