Re: Recommendation for high sample rate receiver?

From: Fons Adriaensen
Subject: Re: Recommendation for high sample rate receiver?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 21:12:20 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 06:25:48PM +0100, Daniel Estévez wrote:

> El 26/1/20 a las 21:38, Marcus Müller escribió:
> > Seconding what Brian says:
> > Math says *any* signal up to a bandwidth of 6 MHz can be represented by
> > 6 MS/s. So, either, your signal isn't that bandlimited, or you forgot
> > to tell us an important requirement (or you might have your math
> > wrong).

You'd need 12M real samples/second or 6M complex ones.
An Airspy R2 will provide 20M real samples/second (12 bits),
frequency range is 24 MHz to 1.7 GHz.

> Math also says that the time of arrival of a 6 MHz waveform can be
> determined with an accuracy of 2ns, if the signal SNR is large enough.

Or the measurement time is large enough.

Some 25 years or so ago I implemented ESA tone ranging as an
SDR application. It's used to find the distance from a ground
station to a satellite by measuring the round-trip time.
This in turn is done by phase measurements of signals which
are phase modulated on the carrier. The highest frequency
modulation was 100 kHz, and this provided a resolution better
than a nanosecond. No need to upsample at all - upsampling
doesn't give you any new information.

Ciao,

--
FA