Re: GRC 3.8 Output language Py2 or Py3 (Windows)

From: CEL
Subject: Re: GRC 3.8 Output language Py2 or Py3 (Windows)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:11:27 +0000

Hi Paul,

indeed, it is a chicken & egg situation, which is why I embrace Jerom
working on windows. But the honest truth is: while there **really** is
a lot of time spent on making GNU Radio work as smoothly as on most
Linux systems, as of now, your choices are limited. And this is one of
the cases where the available choices simply won't work for the user.

> We’re generally not students/academics or industry developers, and
can’t (or don’t want to) mess with Heinz 59 Varieties of Linux J.

Let me assure you that reliable, uniform Windows development seems to
be way, way, WAY harder than on Linux, at least to me, where there's
canonical paths, and your Distro takes care of installing dependencies.

Every single time, and I mean that, that I had to develop or even just
build something on Windows, it was a mess, unless someone spent time
specifically writing a recipe for the version of dependencies you
wanted to use and your specific compiler and all the other things that
might vary on Windows installations.

I hope projects like Chocolately and Conan improve that situation, but
really, the times where Software on Linux was worse to piece together
than on windows are over.

Best Regards,
Marcus