GSoC Introduction

From: Charlie Phillips
Subject: GSoC Introduction
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 07:38:32 -0400

Hi,

I'm Charlie Phillips, a High School Senior at Florida's Suncoast Community High School. Although I am not currently enrolled in an undergraduate program, I am in the process of selecting the University that I will pursue my computer science undergraduate degree and I anticipate that I will be eligible for participating to Google's Summer School of Code for 2020.

During the past two years, I have been working with GNU Radio software for programming software-defined radio platforms (such as PlutoSDR and LimeSDR) in I-SENSE and the Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Florida Atlantic University under the supervision of Dr. George Sklivanitis. I have experience on testing basic digital signal processing concepts by implementing Out-Of-Tree modules in GNU Radio, and I am proficient in C++ and Python.

Part of my work at Florida Atlantic University included experimentation with gr-lora for command and control of unmanned sea-surface vehicles and simulation of a binary FSK transceiver for underwater acoustic communications. I was wondering if the development of a  a new module "gr-underwater" for simulation and emulation of underwater acoustic links would be of interest to the GNU Radio community.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Charlie Phillips