Re: BladeRF 2 in GRC3.8

From: Jerom Maas - LR
Subject: Re: BladeRF 2 in GRC3.8
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 12:45:31 +0000

Hello Marcus,

first of all, I hope that this email reaches you in good health. Thanks for your answer. I've tried to work as cautiously as possible, but it seems that I still have trouble installing gr-osmosdr. I hope that you can help me connecting the last dots.

I install GRC using the ppa:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnuradio/gnuradio-releases
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt install gnuradio

I install LibbladeRF using the ppa:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bladerf/bladerf
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install bladerf
$ sudo apt-get install libbladerf-dev

Then I've installed two libraries for OsmoSDR:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install libosmosdr-dev
$ sudo apt-get install librtlsdr-dev

After this, it's time to follow the instructions on
https://osmocom.org/projects/gr-osmosdr/wiki#Automated-installation
For this, I've used cmake version 3.15.2.
$ git clone git://git.osmocom.org/gr-osmosdr
$ cd gr-osmosdr/
$ mkdir build
$ cd build/
$ cmake ../
After this, I try to do:
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ sudo ldconfig

But this is where I meet my error:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liborc-0.4.so', needed by 'lib/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.2.0.0'. Stop.
CmakeFiles/Makefile2:177: recipe for target 'lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-osmosdr.dir/all' failed
make[1]:*** [lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-osmosdr.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've read that this means that '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liborc-0.4.so' is not found on my computer, which is indeed the case. In that folder, I do have the files:
liborc-0.4.so.0
liborc-0.4.so.0.28.0
liborc-test-0.4.so.0
liborc-test-0.4.so.0.28.0
But not just the exact file that cmake searches for. I don't know much about these extensions, but I've read that this have something to do with version control.

So I decided to do a simple hack, and copied liborc-0.4.so.0 to a new file with the expected name:
$ cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
$ sudo cp liborc-0.4.so.0 liborc-0.4.so

When I go back to the previous terminal, it is found that 'make' does not provide any errors anymore, and 'make install'  and 'ldconfig' also work. And when I open GRC, I can find the Osmocom source and sink blocks, which are the ones that I need. So that's good.

BUT
when I run my GRC flowchart, I get a python error:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'osmosdr'

I've spent some time trying to solve this, but I'm not getting any further. I guess that my little hack of renaming liborc was problematic, but then I wouldn't know where to find the original file.

Did I make some mistakes in installing any of the libraries?
Do I have to use other files or commands?
Am I missing libraries that I should install?

I hope you can find the time to help me with this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerom Maas

PS When I do "$ cmake ../", 'Python Support' is listed as one of the Gnuradio enabled components, so I would assume that all the python libraries should be installed?

PPS @ Fernando: I just receive your enquiry as I'm typing this mail. Yes, I have been able to connect everything to a GRC3.7, in Linux and even in Windows. Unfortunately, I can't recall which exact steps I took for that as it was years ago. Right now, I need to get it running in GRC 3.8, but as you can read from this mail... yet unsuccesful. At least I hope that my description of the Linux Commands is useful for you - but remember that it's not working yet!