Re: Sample Rate & Hardware Considerations Tutorial: GNURadio.org

From: James Hayek
Subject: Re: Sample Rate & Hardware Considerations Tutorial: GNURadio.org
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 15:09:56 -0400

Well, thank you for creating the documentation! I really look forward to learning as much as I can comprehend, and pushing my limitations of understanding. Thanks for you and the teams' hard work.

Interesting point on Question-01. Yes, you are correct… 200 kHz bandwidth. I guess I was considering the guard bands (25 kHz upper and lower). Thank you for clarifying. I verified here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Audio/radio.html

I wondered why you used 192k for the FunCube.

Follow up question:

·         How can I know the max sample rate for each device?

o   Assumingly, reading the Spec Sheets? (Until I’m clever enough to build my own!)

For Question-02, I was referring to: https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Guided_Tutorial_Hardware_Considerations, apologies for not being explicit.

Here, the author used a multiplier of 1.05

I.e., for the Rational Resampler Block used:

·         Interpolation: int(1.05 * (audio_rate * audio_interp))

·         Decimation: int(samp_rate)

I mapped that value of 1.05 to a slider and adjusted it during playback. It made no difference. I assumed this is because it did not have enough weight to push the sample rate in or out of range. After doing the actual math, I see the multiplier I used will never bring the value to the sample rate I needed for my particular device.

To verify, I created a follow up slider where I adjust the sample rate value. It shows me pretty clearly where the limit lies. Below is the new flow graph.

image.png

 For the reference to your name, I was following the Sample Rate Tutorial you wrote. I must of assumed you also did the follow up lesson stated above. Your name was attached to:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Sample_Rate_Tutorial

Sorry for the confusion, but thank you for the help!

Many thanks,