HELP: needed with RFNoC & gr-ettus & PFB

From: Mohamed Yaaseen
Subject: HELP: needed with RFNoC & gr-ettus & PFB
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 11:35:07 +0200

Hello Guys,
          recently I have started looking into the RFNoC platform. I have successfully installed RFNoC and was able to build fpga images with default pre-built modules like fft etc. I haven't; however started with the gain module from "Getting started tutorial"  .

My system setup,

USRP x310 ---- with XG image (connected to PC using dual 10 Gig Ethernet)

uhd -------------  UHD 3.15 LTS branch
gnuradio ------   maint-3.8   branch
gr-ettus---------- maint-3.8  branch
vivado system edition (with HLS, Model Composer, DSP system generator) ----- 2018.03v

fpga images and code was submoduled as part of uhd hence they are at\
 ~/{UHD SRC DIR}/fpga-src/usrp3/..

all installed in a custom prefix (~/workspace/installs/stable) without pybombs.
I have couple of questions and errors I got  that I want help with

  1.  As of this branch UHD 3.15 LTS, it was mentioned I should use uhd_image_builder_gui.py or uhd_image_builder.py script. So, when I used it, I couldn't find target type  X310_RFNOC_HLS_HG . Is it removed or what up with that ?
  2.  Second is with respect to gr-ettus (I came to know that there are some major changes going with this in upcoming UHD 4.0 I will come to that in later points). So, as per tutorial we have to use rfnodmodtools which is part of gr-ettus to create our own OOT  RFNoC module. But, I faced one error with it and I  fixed that error (I am not sure if it is a correct fix). I have raised an issue here in gr-ettus repo. please anyone let me know if this is a issue or if I was doing something wrong. Because the is is with respect to path of rfnocmodtools template. Here is the link for the issue: https://github.com/EttusResearch/gr-ettus/issues/45
  3. Third, as this will be my first time working with RFNoC and FPGA (atleast with Xilinx, I have some experience from my studies).  My main interest with RFNoC is that I wanna create a channelizer, for 160MHz and split up into 80 channels each of 2 MHz (critically sampled). and take everything to the PC for 80x demod & 80x symbol sync. What is the latest development in that direction? I got to know a repo called gr-theseus. Is it maintained still ? Can I start from there or should I start from scratch. I am looking to connect with is anyone working/worked with PFB
  4. Last one, how is the structure gonna change in future with UHD 4.0 &  gr-ettus gonna, it would really helpful if someone could explain (very confucsed with this coz i couldn't find uhd_image_builder etc.) this workflow with new updates and what you guys recommend should start with 3.15 LTS or switch UHD 4.0 because by the I finish PFB i might have to port to a completely new workflow. But in any case, I need gnuradio integration

I know it is a lot of questions, sorry guys. But, when I started setup with RFNoC, I faced many questions like this, and I felt others might have these too. These points will allow people who might need them to get their answers in a single place.

Any help, answers, suggestions  or improvements  for these questions will be really helpful and are highly welcomed !

Thanks and Regards.
Yaaseen