Re: Looking for a way to plot V_LSR vs intensity in GNU Radio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Looking for a way to plot V_LSR vs intensity in GNU Radio
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:58:50 -0400

On 07/24/2020 12:17 PM, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hi Ellie,

being not versed in radioastronomy, I need to guess a bit here, but:
Is what you want essentially "how much power is there for any Doppler shift"?

If that's the case, and you're observing some known-frequency emission (say, a Hydrogen line) would that basically amount to:

1. Frequency-Shifting so that the zero-doppler frequency ends up at 0 Hz
2. transforming your time domain observation to frequency domain
3. labeling the frequency axis so that it tells velocity?

In that case, the Qt GUI frequency case would be a way to go. You can set the center frequency to do 1., it inherently does 2. and 3. can be achieved (ignoring wrong physical unit labels) by adjusting the bandwidth parameter.

Cheers,
Marcus

In spectro_radiometer, I use the Qt Vector plotter, and use some math to display km/sec on what would normally be the frequency axis. This
  calculation doesn't account for the VLSR, but it certainly could.