Re: audio sink RuntimeError: audio_oss_sink

From: Jeff Long
Subject: Re: audio sink RuntimeError: audio_oss_sink
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 19:07:51 -0400

See if the settings on this page work - try plughw:0,0 first.

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Audio_Sink

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:57 PM aardric <aardric@aardvarr.ca> wrote:
Hail,

    I am introducing myself to SDR technology and gnuradio through
whatever project documentation I find, dissecting the code and executing
simple experimental flow graphs to test understanding of concepts,
hoping to avoid forum queries (this is my first). Although the audio
sink is not critical to my ultimate use of gnuradio and a bit of a
diversion I will eventually start digging into it. However, I thought to
submit a query on whether there is something obvious I should try in
order to get it working. I am using gnu radio companion 3.8.1.0 (Python
3.6.10) and feeding the audio sink with a 1 kHz tone from the signal
source block.

(1) staring with:
:~> aplay -L
null
default
     Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
     Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
     2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
(...)
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
     HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
     HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
     HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 3
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
     HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 4
     HDMI Audio Output

(2) using sysdefault:CARD=PCH for the audio sink device name,
both 44.1 kS/s and 48 kS/s the following runtime error results:

(3)
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio sink arch: oss
audio_oss_sink: sysdefault:CARD=PCH: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/gnuradio/examples/audiotest.py", line 136, in <module>
     main()
   File "/gnuradio/examples/audiotest.py", line 112, in main
     tb = top_block_cls()
   File "/gnuradio/examples/audiotest.py", line 78, in __init__
     self.audio_sink_0 = audio.sink(samp_rate, 'sysdefault:CARD=PCH', True)
   File
"/usr/local/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gnuradio/audio/audio_swig.py",
line 220, in make
     return _audio_swig.sink_make(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: audio_oss_sink

 >>> Done (return code 1)

(4) Fixing this isn't critical and in time I will get to the bottom of
it; the forum query just removes the possibility of an obvious answer
that most everyone else knows about. My guess is that I have to disable
the Pulse audio server.

Rick