[announcement] Release 3.8.2.0

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [announcement] Release 3.8.2.0
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 21:31:33 +0200

Dear SDR community with the lowest jitter ever,

it's taken a couple of months, but here it is: the next release from the
3.8 release series.

I'm very happy about the list of contributors: there's a couple of new
names in there, and that's something that, I think, we should strive for.

We've fixed a couple of real annoyances in GRC; I think you'll like this
release.

Attached you'll find the list of SHA hashes for the tarballs you'll find
on [1] and later [2].

Have fun with this, and:
see you at GRCon¹!

Marcus

[1] https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/releases/tag/v3.8.2.0
[2] https://www.gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/
¹ Obviously, you'll participate in GRCon, considering it's free and
virtual and has at a schedule now, and is mid of September.

## [3.8.2.0] - 2020-08-21

### Changed

#### Project Scope

- Call SWIG without `-modern` flag if new enough to make that inherent, thus
  removing warnings

#### GRC

- Mako templating now `strict_undefined`
- Show block comments by default
- dynamically updated block namespaces (execute imports from templates)
- Name-lookup detection of dark color themes, adjusted input box color
scheme

#### gr-dtv

- `dvb_bbscrambler`: LUT 8B alignment (private, but relevant for future
usable
  optimization)

### Fixed

#### GRC

- incorrect "clear console" and "save console" labels
- generator: `flow_graph.py.mako` now contains import for
`print_function` for
  compatibility in Py2 generation
- `variable_config.block.yml` now properly handles `configparser` /
  `ConfigParser` import
- Change port types of all selected block on key-press cycling, not just
first
  one
- Always check for Python version in flow graph generation, not only in
specific
  block types
- Don't run stale flow graphs
- Prevent search keystrokes from modifying flowgraph

#### gr-blocks

- `file_sink` flushes contents to file on `stop()`
- `file_meta_sink` block YAML: emit proper default PMT dict
- XMLRPC client/server block templates: use Py3 XMLRPC when possible

#### gr-digital

- `soft_dec_lut_gen` now explicitly casts `2.0**prec` to `int`
- `map_bb`: add missing definition of static `constexpr size_t s_map_size`

#### gr-dtv

- Reduce `send_frame_size` in UHD examples (broken after UHD v3.13.0.3-rc1)

#### gr-filter

- `logpwrfft` YAML was hiding FFT length
- FFT frequency range calculation was occasionally off due to abuse of
  `numpy.arange`

#### gr-filter

- GRC band pass filter taps block: use `firdes.complex_band_pass` when
complex
- `firdes.root_raised_cosine` gain for unity alpha

#### gr-qtgui

- `qtgui_chooser` regained 3.7 capability to set default
- Frequency Sink hovering now respects set units
- GRC blocks had optional stream inputs

#### gr-uhd

- ignore `len_tag_name` in USRP Source YAML generator python
- `uhd_fft`/`uhd_siggen_gui`: import order of sip and Qt
- GRC example block errors

### Added

#### GRC

- OS X: Meta modifier key support (eq. Ctrl on other platforms)
- configuration setting `show_block_comments`

#### gr-analog

- Signal source `cmd` port

#### gr-zeromq

- Message-based ZMQ blocks take bind argument, as necessary for N:1
patterns.
  Changes ABI.

### Deprecated

#### gr-analog