Re: Creating and installing a new Python module

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Creating and installing a new Python module
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:36:10 +0200

Hi Jim,

On 22.09.20 21:18, Elmore's wrote:
> I am trying to create a new Python module. I am looking at various pieces of
> documentation including guided Tutorial GNU Radio in Python and
> OutOfTreeModules.
>
> When I get to the step of installing the block, the following is shown as the
> tasks to perform while in the build directory;
>
> cmake ../
> make
>
> When I type cmake ../ it appears that the compilation process is occurring.

No, that's the part where the compilation system (the Makefiles executed
when you type "make") is configured.

> I get an error and when I look at the log file, I see references to C++ as if
> it is performing a C++ compilation even though this is a Python block. Also
> the error occurs due to Boost(?) missing. What is going on here?

That is probably one of the many checks done with your compiler to find
whether your system has specific features. A couple of these failing is
perfectly normal. The log file isn't extremely helpful in many cases.

In 99% of cases, you should thoroughly read and share the CMake error
you're getting

Best regards,
Marcus