Re: explaining i/q

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: explaining i/q
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 00:38:27 +0100

Jef, Fabian, Aditya, Anon, David,

I'll just reply to this one message so not to spam the list to much but please consider this a "thank you" to all for replying.

As said, this is for a limited and very specific goal:
I will probably be giving a workshop on GRC in a couple of weeks and I want to give a quick explanation of iq-sampling and how this impacts designing a GR flowgraphs.

I want to keep the workshop focused on that one topic. So I really want to avoid going "wondering around" trying to explain everything that is related to DSP or SDR. After all, it's a workshop on using GRC, not a generic presentation on SDR or signal-processing.

The reason I do want to mention iq sampling in the workshop, is simply that does is one of the basic datatypes of GNU Radio and it is an important element that affects how to build a flowgraph.

I think I will summarise it like this:

* complex numbers is one of the datatypes of GR, It is the format to store signals generated by a process called "i/q sampling".

So, what is iq-sampling?
IQ-sampling is like sampling a normal ("real") signal -i.e. what most people are familiar with-, ... except that you sample the data twice for each period: once at timer "t" and a second time 1/4 sampling period later. (*)

This 2nd sampling-action provides information about the 'direction' a signal is going (up or down). (I think the proper term here is its 'slope')
(thx David for the correction about 'phase' vs 'slope')

(*) Just look at the design of a direct-conversion SDR receiver.

The first sample is called the "in phase" sample, the 2nd sample is the "quadrature" sample; hence "i/q" sampling.

* as was also mentioned by Heather in the RSGB/BATC presentation, the use of iq-signals has a number of consequences on GNU Radio flow-graphs.
The most important ones are:

->  Mixing two complex signals (with a frequency of "f1" and "f2") will produce one new signal with a frequency of f1+f2 Hz.

This is in contrast to a mixer of "real" signals which -as most people know- produces two new signals (frequencies: f1+f2 and f1-f2)

-> In the "real" frequency-domain, only the frequencies from 0 up to sampling-rate / 2 is defined. The frequencies below zero are a mirror of the radio-spectrum above DC.

Using complex i/q sampling, both positive and negative frequencies exist and are independent of each other.

-> A signal with a "negative" frequency?
Yes, a complex signal can have a 'negative' frequency. This is basically the same as a signal with the equivalent positive frequency, but mirrored around the x-axis (**).

If you look at such a signal, you see that flipping a signal upside down will  inverse the sign of the value of every sample (something that does affect the value of the signal, but no its frequency), ... and inverse the "direction" of that signal. And remember that the goal of i/q sampling is ...  to determine the direction of a signal?

(**) note: there do are other ways to negate the frequency of a complex signal.

-> Combine the two last points, and you get this:

If you mix (multiply) an incoming signal with frequency "f1" with a second signal that has a negative-frequency "-f2" will generate a new signal with a frequency of f1-f2, effectively moving a signal down in the radio-spectrum. (i.e. 'down-converting')

* And finally, ... certain hardware peripherals deals with 'real' signals (e.g. an audio-card or a speaker), other hardware create or read complex 'iq' signals (like most dedicated SDR peripherals)

Again, the goal is not a full detailed discussion about I/Q signals.
The goal is to give people who are not to SDR, new to GNU Radio and have never heard of i/q sampling before some idea of what it is, and how it will impact them when they start playing around with GRC.

But I do want my information to be factual correct, so .. if somebody sees factual errors in this, feel free to reply! :-)

73
kristoff - ON1ARF