Re: Stop making unneeded improvements

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Stop making unneeded improvements
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 13:17:34 +0000

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 20:21:42 -0500
Glen Langston <glen.i.langston@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I like the SDRPlay device, but it can not be used in gnuradio 3.8.  According
> to the web.
> But the web indicates it might be usable in 3.9
> So I installed 3.9 only to find that swig has been replace by pybind.  This
> breaks all my
> existing C++ modules.   The modules worked fine, but if using ubuntu 20.40
> the students can not
> easily install gnuradio 3.7.  The pybind instructions are puzzling.
> gr-modtool all the
> modules copy something or other.   This is for no good reason that I’m aware
> of.
> Either make the equivalent of pythons “2to3” or do not make the gnuradio
> fundamental changes.

I use SDRPlay with gnuradio-3.8 with linux and it works fine.  The
gr-soapy backend works better than the gr-osmosdr one however.

In my case I use sdrplay-2.13.1, soapy-sdr (git master branch as at
2020-07-13), soapy-sdrplay (git master branch as at 2020-06-29),
gnuradio-3.8.2.0 and gr-soapy (git master branch as at 2020-06-07).

In addition, to use SDRPlay with gqrx, I use gr-iqbal (git master
branch as at 2019-12-01) and gr-osmosdr (git master branch as at
2020-08-05).  However, you should use the gr-osmosdr block's soapy
backend with soapy's sdrplay driver (pass the arguments
"soapy=0,driver=sdrplay" to the gr-osmosdr block), and not the sdrplay
backend which no longer works properly.