Re: Is there a list of all the environment variables?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Is there a list of all the environment variables?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:35:58 +0100

Hi Alex!

Yep, cleaning up that, and documentating it is on my wishlist :)
So, two types of env variables:

1. gr::prefs configuration-file equivalents
2. "special" environment variables.

Re 1.: So, you might be aware of GNU Radio's preference management system: GNU
Radio reads
and writes config files; (these are a bit fragile, because) there's multiple
ways to
define the same configuration key, and one of these is setting an environment
variable
that starts with GR_CONF; that's documented in [1][2].

Re 2.: Then, there's a couple of special environment variables that things are
sensitive
against. GR_PREFS_PATH is relatively new, for example, and for reasons of
causality can't
be covered by the preferences :)

GRC_BLOCKS_PATH is another older, but well-established environment variable
(which can
actually be absorbed by the config system).

A grep for `getenv` tells me that's about it; of course, for example, most
audio system
interfaces have their own trove of configurability, so do graphical frameworks
(in our
case, X11, Qt), the typical linux runtime library loader listens to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
various others and so on, but these are "global" sensitivities of libraries
that GNU Radio
uses, not GNU Radio itself (I'm not sure knowing this helps the confused user,
though...).

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Configuration_Files
[2] formerly, in the doxygen docs under "Usage"