Calling work function slower in v3.8 than v3.7

From: Jeff S
Subject: Calling work function slower in v3.8 than v3.7
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 19:34:46 +0000

I am having an issue with a custom OOT module which is acting as a burst
source.  It receives an asynchronous message in one thread, and then puts data
into the stream using another thread.  This worked fine using GR v3.7, but with
v3.8, not so much.

I believe my problem may have to do with how the scheduler operates now, in
that in v3.7, the ::work() function was called very quickly ( at a rate of < 1
ms per call), no mater what data is being sent into the stream.  With version
3.8, when no data is being sent into the stream, I am getting a fairly constant
250 ms calls to ::work().  This causes a significant delay for when data is
received to when it can get transmitted (when I'm looking for a <= 4 ms
response).

I've search a bit in the archives, but haven't found quite what I'm looking
for.  Is there a way to signal the scheduler asynchronously to make a call to
::work(), or to make the scheduler call work at a faster rate?

Thanks.
Jeff