Today 1600 UTC: Amateur Radio meetup - Studying the 2017 Solar Eclipse

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Today 1600 UTC: Amateur Radio meetup - Studying the 2017 Solar Eclipse
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 13:43:53 +0100

Hello folks,

A quick note that today's Amateur Radio meetup is John Ackermann N8UR sharing his experience of recording the HF spectrum during the 2017 Solar Eclipse and showing the Hermes & Red Pitaya SDRs, HDF5 format data capture, and scripts for post-processing.

Meetup and talk is May 8th at 1600 UTC (3 hours from this email)
Details and Zoom Link:

"The total solar eclipse in August, 2017, was the first opportunity for the "HamSci" community to get crowdsourced ionospheric data, looking for propagation changes as the eclipse occurred. There were several HamSci activities that weekend, including an Eclipse QSO Party. A number of hams monitored the bands looking for changes in frequency or amplitude as local totality approached and went.
I used SDRs and GNU Radio from my location in northern Michigan to record the entire 80, 40, 30, and 20 meter bands, as well as the entire AM broadcast band, for 8 hours. The result was nearly 1 TB of data.
I'll show the equipment configuration, some of the GNU Radio tools used both to capture and post-process the data, and some results of the experiment."

Sorry for the short notice.

Cheers,
Derek