Re: Encode and modulate a test message on GNU Radio 3.8

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Encode and modulate a test message on GNU Radio 3.8
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 12:51:01 +0200

Hi Rodrigo,

a "welcome" through this channel, too!

On 14.07.21 12:40, Rodrigo Ruiz wrote:
> Hello, I want to create a flowgraph in order to send a "Hello World" using my
> LimeSDR-Mini.
Cool!

> The thing is that I want to encode the "Hello World" using NRZ, Manchester,
> etc coding
> techniques,

These are line codes, not really that useful for RF, in general. You'll not
find them in
any of the modern digital communication schemes ("modes"), because the problem
they're
solving is not applicable to wireless communications in the same form. You'll
find them in
legacy ham modes, only. (I'd be delighted to be proven wrong here, but neither
the DC
balance nor the transition timing recovery problem are relevant to wireless
comms; you
sync differently)

> but I don't know if this is possible.

It definitely is! Everything that you can do in finite time to a band-limited
signal is
possible :)

> Also I would like to modulate on FM, for
> example.

FM is an analog transmission scheme, but you want to send digital data: I think
you
directly want to use FSK instead.

> But as the input from the WBFM Transmit block is a float, I don't know if my
> File
> source block could be a float or I should use a conversion block.

You need to interpret the bytes from your file source as symbols, then put
these on a
waveform and send that to your limesdr for transmission.

How exactly you want to do this depends on a lot of things, and you've not
really
described your transmission scenario yet, so I'm not sure how to give you a
start there.

> I hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

Yeah, sure! That's exactly why we have the GNU Radio academy:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Tutorials

Chapter 1,2,4 and 5 will be necessary to really understand the bits and pieces
of GNU
Radio. Then, you'd probably want to do the FSK or the QPSK example. Finally,
read and
adapt chapter 7 to your needs :)

Best regards,
Marcus