Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:07:51 +0200

Hi Nathan,

firdes.low_pass(1, 8e6, 5000, 1700)

Oefti! .. that is a very narrow filter!

Keep in mind that in DSP, the more narrow a filter, the more computational expensive it is. And 'narrow' is related to the passband of the filter compared to the samplerate..

5000 Hz compared to 8 MHz, that is very narrow. I'm surprised that you can actually do this.

What I usually do (but other people might have do it differently) is to take down the sampling-rate in multiple steps.

- Start with the xlating FIR filter (to correct the frequency-offset) and do a decimation of 8, so to take the 8 Msps down to 1 Msps
The taps are:
firdes.low_pass(1, samp_rate, samp_rate/(2*decim), transition_bw)

- Next add a 'rational resampler' to down the samplerate even further, e.g. 'interpolate 1, decimate 20 to go down to 50 KHz

- then add your low-pass filter of 5 KHz/1700 Hz.

In this case, your filter is 5 Khz compared to 50 Khz, which is a 1/10 ratio.

Another option is to use a low-passfilter and do decimation at the same time. The low-pass filter block has a parameter 'decimation'.

One more thing:

I think that a NBFM channel is actually wider (on RF) then the 5 KHz you mention: 10 KHz to 20 KHz, depending on the FM modulation index. If there are no other stations on the neighboring channel, 20 KHz will probably be fine. If you have adjacent-channel interference, you can reduce the filter.

I propose you first use an sdr-tool like gqrx, cubesdr or sdr++ and visually inspect what the radio-signal looks like you want to receive.

Note. Another option to get help from the GNU Radio community is to use the matrix chat-server.
(Matrix is an open-source distributed and federated IM/voip/video service).

If you do not yet have an account on a matrix service, you can create one (e.g.) here:
https://chat.gnuradio.org/

The main chat-room for GNU radio is here:
#gnuradio:gnuradio.org

There are also some other (more specialized) GNUradio-related rooms, like for amateurradio and for the documentation sub-project.

IMHO, IM / chat is more suited to quick issues, while mail is usually better for more indepth discussions.

Matrix does offer the ability to share files, screen-dumps or even voice or video-conference, which can also be useful tools.

Kristoff (on1arf)