Re: Gnuradio 3.8 on a Raspberry pi 4 B?

From: Jeff Long
Subject: Re: Gnuradio 3.8 on a Raspberry pi 4 B?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:23:29 -0500

Note that this is an old thread that just got reopened, probably by mistake.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 12:11 PM Marcus Müller <mmueller@gnuradio.org> wrote:
Hi Jean-Michel,

don't apologize for sharing your technically shaped view on things. I, too, would look at
an RPi4 as embedded device! But that is because my use ways of thinking are much more in
terms of "do GUI-ish stuff on a PC/laptop, number crunching on a PC/workstation/server,
and only exactly what needs to be done there on an embedded platform".
I can see how if you want to write letters or browse the web, a low/medium-end
smartphone-powered computer works for you. And, sure enough, low/medium-rate signal
processing, why not; if I need things to demodulate something in the kHz range and display
something simple, OK, why not wayland/Mutter, X11/XFCE or whatever.

Regarding suboptimality: yep, Raspbian is a 32bit ARM debian-derivative distro "same
binary for all RPi generations", and they literally build-on-target, and although the very
few people behind it very critical for establishing the RPi as "the" Linux SBC, they've
not really received any official support from the Pi foundation; do with that info what
you will. The Raspbian person I've had contact was super nice, and he helped me understand
how GNU Radio works under these situations. He was happy to hear how VOLK worked. Nice guy.

Raspberry Pi OS is a more directly derived debian (currently, based on Debian 11), and as
far as I know it uses sensible architectural settings for the RPi4. That means you should
be able to "apt install gnuradio" and run "volk_profile" right there. I don't have an
RPi4, so can't test. Last time I checked (that's already a while back) they still haven't
put together an officially sanctioned QEMU aarch64 target with enough device tree to
emulate a headless RPi.

I honestly think that unless you're doing something *very* specific chances are, you'll
never have to use a self-built GNU Radio on a RPi these days; and I've been asking people
not to build on target forever, not the least to save them the pain.

Best regards,
Marucs