Re: Transmitting high-speed PWM over RF

From: Fabian Schwartau
Subject: Re: Transmitting high-speed PWM over RF
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:02:09 +0200

Hi Joshua,

the most important questions are:
Can you live with less than 50 M updates/second of the PWM?
How much error in the output PWM is acceptable?
If you need the 50 M updates/s and you want the PWM to be high precision (like 8 bit resolution or something like that), I would say: Forget it. You are limited by the bandwidth of the ISM band (100 MHz or 80 MHz, depending on your location) and I am fairly sure that you are not allowed to transmit over the full band at the same time.
And what do you mean by "low latency"? Is one cycle ok? 100 cycles?
The only chances you have:
* Reduce the PWM frequency to something reasonable (like transmitting only 1 MHz updates over the air). You can of course build a system that gets the 50 MHz as input, processes it, output 1 MHz updates over the air, and a second system that converts that back to 50 MHz on the receive side. * Do it the analog (hardware) way. Modulate the pwm on a carrier at 2.45 GHz with AM/FM whatever, and demodulate it at the receiver. The demoulation would have to include some sort of rectification. Depending on the bandwidth and SNR you allow the transmission to have, your received signal will suffer some additional noise. * Or go up in frequency. There are ISM bands at 5.8, 24, 61, 122, and 244 GHz with plenty of bandwidth available ;)

Best regards,
Fabian