Re: How to profile?

From: richard
Subject: Re: How to profile?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 13:18:07 +0000

On Sunday, November 5, 2000, at 12:23 PM, helge.hess@skyrix.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 'profile=yes' makes gcc embed profiling information in the binary. Read
> the 'gprof' man page to find out more about it. It provides profiling
> information for all function calls. AFAIK it only works with non-shared
> binaries.

I think that's correct - which makes it a pain to try to get any real indication
of where problems are - I think you need to build a static libc for profiling,
and static X-windows libraries too - or you get a completely skewed picture of
what is taking most cycles.

I wish I knew why profiling of shared libraries doesn't work - I'm pretty sure
it used to work on my old SunOS systems.