Re: Some thoughts about GS

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:37:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Marco Scheurer <marco@sente.ch> wrote:
> Please allow me to offer some random thoughts and comments, even if I've
> only been an observer of GNUstep, and never contributed anything.
>
> A few months ago, I was thinking along the same lines as Phil. That KDE
> and Gnome, however ugly, exist, have applications, a big following, and so
> on, so it could be nice to somehow be able to use say GNUstep and Gnome
> together to develop Linux desktop  apps. Now I'm not so sure.

There is no reason why GNUstep based apps cannot run alongside GNOME apps.

> I think that GNUstep could pick up what Apple let down: cross-platform
> development. I'm definitely not a fan of Windows, but the possibility of
> recompiling your apps on Windows (and have them look like Windows apps)
> could be a "killer feature", something likely to attract developers.

Very true.

> Another killer app for GNUstep would of course be the GNUstepWeb / EOF
> clone combo. I know about the issues with that.
>
> About the barrier of Objective C. As much as I like Objective C (and I
> like it a lot!) I have to agree with those who do not like to be forced to
> use one language or another. After all, I hate being forced to use Java. It
> would be nice if GNUstep could attain some kind of language neutrality, or
> offer bindings for Java, Smalltalk, LISP, Python... Something like the
> promises made by .NET / C# .

Currently GNUstep offers bindings for Java (JIGS), Smalltalk (I believe), and
guile.

> Last, we could ask ourselves if some of the moves made by Apple would not
> be appropriate for GNUstep as well. I'm thinking about CoreFoundation and
> CoreGraphics and dropping DPS...

Apple dropped DPS almost purely due to licensing issues.   Quartz (aka Display
PDF) is a subset of display postscript.

> Marco Scheurer
> Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland     http://www.sente.ch

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer