Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:17:04 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 12:40 AM, Enrico Sersale wrote:

> > > - go with the Finder in a directory.
> > >
> > > - now open a terminal on the same dir and do something (ex. create or
> > >   delete a file).
> > >
> > > Is the content of the finder window updated automatically?
> >
> > Forget about the Finder on MOSX, it is more than buggy... To answer
> > your question (w/o actually trying it out), it *should* be updated,
> > perhaps after some delay, but I doubt that it happens in that version
> > (sometimes, I remember, you can't even force it to recognise new
> > directory content)...
> >
> > cheers, Phil
> > --
>
> Ok. But what, which *object*, should notify the finder?

The workspace manager should have a timed event to check to see if the
directories
displayed in any of its viewer windows have been modified.
Thus, if a GNUstep app modifies a directory using the NSWorkspace APIs, the
workspace is notified immediately and windows are updated at once, and if you
modify things in any other way (like from a terminal window) the application
will update after a short dalay.
I think it takes about four seconds for the workspace to notice a modification
to the filesystem on my NeXTstep system, but if I remember correctly there is a
user default to modify the period at which the filesystem is checked.