Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Frederic
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 21:46:32 +0100

"Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:

> Jason H Clouse <jhclouse@juno.com> wrote (Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:51:45 -0500):
> > This is more to the point.  If we move to GTK, this would be the end of
> > GNUstep.  That's why I said you might as well use GTK.  The whole raison
> > d'ĂȘtre for the GNUstep project is the (perceived, at least) insufficiency
> > of other projects out there.
>
> This is maybe the most dangerous attitude we GNUstep folks can have!!! gtk+
> and Qt are *not* insufficient, they proof the contrary every day. The fact
> that their API is not as elegant as GNUstep does not make them bad or even
> unusable!!! I just don't understand why one still can say that gtk and other
> toolkits are insufficient, when GNOME and KDE are 100% usable and have an
> installed base that exceeds the one of OPENSTEP, NEXTSTEP, Mac OS X and
> GNUstep together by factors!
>
> We can only 'win' if we take our competitors for serious!

I particulary agree on that point.
GNUstep-gui, even when complete, will not be better or worst than GTK or
QT. We definitively cannot "win" developpers with that. But we should be
able to do so thanks to GNUstep overall simplicity and ease of use (from
a developer point of view). This is particulary true compared to GNOME,
which is really a mess to develop. This point is, IMHO, the strongest
argument we have to convince developpers. (productivity is key when
missing resources).

Frederic