Re: What is FFI?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: What is FFI?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:08:53 +0100

Hi,

ffcall/libffi are libraries to assemble and disassemble C function call
environments at runtime. It does the same for C functions that
NSInvocation does for ObjC method invocations and indeed can be used as
a backend for NSInvocation, since ObjC methods are C functions after
compilation.
All this is pretty complicated since call environments are radically
different between different architectures (different stack setups,
different register sets, different alignments, ...) which is why
NSInvocation's implementation quality often differs much between
different architectures.

Helge

--
SKYRIX Software AG  http://www.skyrix.com/